How do you dress when you don’t plan on meeting women?
You know, when you’re going to the gym, grocery shopping, running errands or just walking around lost in your own thoughts.
More often than not, I look like a complete slob to the point where I would be embarrassed to say that for a living I help men look sexy, help them improve their style. At least not with a straight face.
I’ll spare you the details, but yeah – it’s bad.
And there’s a good reason why I do this:
Walking around is one of my favorite rituals of the day. As an introverted guy this is the time when I do my best thinking (some of the best style inspirations were born during these walks), I re-focus on what’s important in life and then get back to work energized and inspired. So I put on my earphones, sometimes with music but more often with an inspiring audiobook and go wherever I need to.
The funny thing is – it’s freaking difficult to get in your head and ignore the outside world when every few minutes you pass a pretty girl and see them checking you out, fishing for an eye contact.
So what I found out is that I can dress down and all of the sudden it’s like I’m invisible, girls seem to completely ignore me – I walk right next to them, try to make eye contact aaand… nothing!
It’s also a humbling experience, because when you’re rocking the “I’m Getting Laid Tonight” look, it’s easy to start thinking like you’re the sexiest bastard in town, the god’s gift to women and all that other ego-inflating stuff.
I believe that dressing down like that should feel something similar to when a hot girl removes her make-up and undoes her hair – yeah, sure, she’s still beautiful and stuff (have you seen that ass?!), but it’s no longer that mouth-watering, eye popping effect like when she’s looking her best.
And yet, this article is called “How To Look Hot In Your Casual Outfits”– what’s up with that?
When It Makes Sense To Look Hot In Your Casual Outfits
I often get this question – how do I look sexy in casual outfits?
There are few good reasons why some of you might want to look hot when you’re just going around your day:
- Maybe you’re not introverted and you get your energy from interacting with people throughout the day. When you look hot people in general tend to react and interact with you in a much friendlier manner.
- Maybe you enjoy chatting up girls as you go through your day, even if you don’t specifically plan to “run game” – it’s just part of your social behavior and looking sexy helps increase the chances of those becoming romantic encounters.
- Being checked out by cute women, maybe exchanging smiles usually feels really good – it can instantly improve your mood and set you up for a great day. This is especially true when you’re working on some big project and don’t have time to go out much to get that feminine affection.
The problem here is that generally pulling off your “I’m Getting Laid Tonight Look” when you’re going to the gym or grocery shopping is an overkill and can even come off as try-hard. Something that works stupendously well in bars and night clubs can look completely out of place during the day.
Can you image rocking something like this when going to the gym? Ha!
Casual Can Be Very Sexy
There’s a lot of power in the devil-may-care, “oh I’m just wearing the first thing I found” looks – that’s one of the reasons why often edgy bad boy and rugged masculine looks outperform dressing sharp in terms of raw sex appeal.
It’s just a very masculine approach.
HOWEVER, it’s the case only when it looks like that – if you literally practice “oh I’m just wearing the first thing I found” and “who cares”, you will usually end up with my own typical off time look. We’ll call it “the slob” and it’s anything but sexy (Nope, I won’t be sharing the pictures of it…)
Like bed head, as lame as it sounds, you consciously create an image of not caring.
One interesting observation I found that these outfits often translate to very attractive, super outcome-independent mindset too. It just feels more natural to stop caring about shit, when you’re rocking something casual and cool.
How Can To Pull Off A Casual Look?
- Tone it down
- Be practical
- Your physique
Tone it down
The point of a casual outfit is that it’s by all means less attention grabbing, less flashy. This means we need to tone down every aspect of the look:
- Less pronounced colors – instead of read, bright blue, white choose grey, black, charcoal, dark brown, washed blue, etc.
- Fewer accessories – accessorizing for a casual look should be very subtle, one-two non-attention grabbing accessories at most.
- Looser fit – this of course doesn’t mean wearing baggy clothes but as you can see in the example I’m wearing a regular cut crew-neck, straight cut jeans (they are from Zara so even straight cut is relatively tight). You generally want to shape your physique to look attractive, without having all items being cut close the body (as a rule of thumb only upper-most layer should be tight enough to emphasize the physique, in this example it’s the jacket).
- Slightly worn clothes – it usually doesn’t make sense to wear your best clothes when you’re just errands (more on this later), so casual-off time outfits are great for finding use for your older tees that are maybe losing some of their color, getting stretched, etc. Let me stress the “slightly” part, if your red tee looks pink, black jeans look grey or a tee that’s supposed to be tight is now just hanging there and is full of whole – it’s to get rid of them. I also often use tees/shirts that I wore the day before (assuming they don’t stink haha), pieces that are no longer in a condition to be worn on a night out/date but can survive a few more wears before getting into the “wash me” pile.
As you can see we are breaking a lot of rules of dressing sexy here!
This is an advanced article because it’s way easier to look sexy in proper going out outfit (like your “I’m Getting Laid Tonight Look”) than in a casual one.
Newbies, proceeded with caution with these points or you risk pulling off “The Slob”
It takes experience and a good eye to find that fine line between casual-rugged and “the slob”.
One of the main points of your off-time looks is comfort and practicality – you don’t want to feel restrained or encumbered when you’re just going around your day. Even though it does make sense to trade some comfort for sexiness when it comes date and nights out, it’s not the case for your off-time outfits.
It’s one of the reasons why I don’t mind slightly looser clothes in this case.
- Shoes: boots, converse, sneakers instead of dress shoes, Chelsea boots, loafers, etc.
- Cardigans instead of vests.
- Scarfs instead of necklaces.
- Slim cut instead of skinny.
- Jackets/coats instead of blazers.
- Long-sleeved tees/jumpers instead of buttoned shirts.
You get the drill…
Alright, this will suck but it needs to be said – when it comes to casual outfits your physique plays a properly large role.
When it comes to “I’m Getting Laid Tonight” outfits, they are much more forgiving on having a less than great physique – you can use colors, layers, flashy accessories, etc. to compensate and max out your looks even if you’re somewhat lacking in the physique department (having a great physique is still a massive bonus, but not a mandatory condition).
On the other hand, with these casual, off-time outfits due to their simplicity there’s no going around it – you need to have a pretty solid physique to pull them off and look hot.
Btw, in case you’re not sure how to achieve one – join me on the Warrior Shredding Program (loving it!)
The reason we still keep our upper-most layer on upper body cut close to the body is to reap the sexy points of having paid our dues in the gym.
Now let’s go through a few classic Style Inspiration looks and see how we can adjust them to work in the off-time too.
- Our “Relentless Rebel” look is already a great example of an off-time outfit: it’s rugged, masculine, on the first glance looks like something that’s been just thrown together and has this sexy “I don’t give a fuck” attitude.
- One thing I would change is tone it down with accessories: the rings goes and probably so does the bracelet.
- “Wayward Son” is another example of an outfit that can easily be transformed into a very casual look that looks hot, while appearing completely effortless.
- Few changes: watch goes off (or can be replaced by a simple bracelet), glasses go, tee can be a bit looser and potentially even have a sexy print.
- “Wild Like The Wind” look is already a near-perfect example of a sexy off-time look, everything about it is edgy-casual.
- But what about colder weather and maybe something for guys, who can’t afford to look particularly edgy even if their off-time. “I’m Been Bad And I Liked It” can be made into something like.
- Few possible changes: assuming we need the extra layer from a buttoned shirt to keep warm, our best bet is to replace choice in patterns, instead of a plain dress shirt & patterned sweater, a better approach would be a pattern shirt with a simple back sweater. Also replace the white scarf with something darker, i.e. black one.
Save Your Clothes – Embrace The Off-Time Looks
The problem with the modern fashion industry is that most clothes are not meant to last, as in they are specifically designed (chosen fabrics, stitching, etc.) to last just long enough so you’ll need to replace them every year or two depending on wear.
There are exceptions, like good pair of jeans or a real leather jacket, but those are rare.
By adhering to the care instructions, taking good care of your clothes you can prolong their lifespan and that’s a very smart thing to do.
On the other hand, if you wear your best clothes each and every day, in every situation, you will find yourself washing them very often and their lifespan will decrease as a result. I’ve personally been in situations where a shirt and even a pair of cheaper jeans didn’t even last one season before becoming unwearable.
To combat this, I always try to build my off-time looks around items that I don’t mind getting worn, usually clothes that are older and are no longer part of my “I’m Getting Laid Tonight” collection.
In the example I shared above there are couple of exceptions:
- The jacket – my last “crappy faux leather jacket” got destroyed not so long ago so for a while it’s my only black jacket until I find an upgrade and can officially move this one to my “off-time” pile.
- Ripped jeans – you’ve seen this pair in one of the examples I used in “Nerdy To Sexy” and it’s a pair I bought just a few months ago. By design they are perfect for off-time outfits and without much conscious thought I realized that I was mainly wearing them going to the gym or running errands – it just happened :) Also, other pairs been dominating my on-time outfits, so I’m not too worried what will happen to this particular pair.
Your turn – what are the situations when you prefer to look hot but that are not really suitable for your “I’m Getting Laid Tonight” outfit?
And leave a comment bellow to share how you dress during these times to look sexy!