Before we begin today’s article I would like to say Hello and welcome to the site several hundred fellow redditors who decided to get “Style Makeoever Guide” and join our readership, it’s a pleasure having you here. Just like with reddit we’re are building a community of like-minded men, so don’t be shy and share your thoughts.
If you ever read books or articles on men’s style you are probably familiar with the concept that the way clothes fit you is one of the most important parts of dressing well and as long as you have it mastered you’re already miles ahead of other men. You also probably read some rules how items should fit you:
- “When your shirt is fully buttoned, there should be enough extra space for one finger around your collar”
- “Pants should not be particularly tight around your legs”
- “Your blazer should be loose enough so you can keep it buttoned when sitting and arms wouldn’t be so tight that you no longer can comfortably reach out”
Well, those rules have their place – if your goal is to build a solid, practical wardrobe you can wear at the office or to impress your uncles, aunts and cousins at a family reunion, go for it, follow them.
But if your goal is to create strong foundations for a more promiscuous lifestyle, you might as well put those formal rules aside and start learning the rules of sexy fit.
Before moving to the core of this article, I’d like to add a quick disclaimer:
This article focuses on men who are in a reasonable shape (average or above average). Rules might be a bit different in certain situations if you’re obese or stick-figure skinny, you can read more about making the most out of your physique here.
Also, I will be mostly talking about situations where you buy items off-the-shelf and having them tailored is not a viable option. This is important because in such situations we sometimes need to make trade-offs to get the most “sexy points” for money spent.
How Clothes Should Fit
Together with jeans probably the most important piece of clothing in a man’s wardrobe. This is also, by far, the best type of clothing for your upper body when dressing sexy:
- Looks great with most styles.
- You can adjust how much skin you want to show by rolling up sleeves, opening buttons.
- With the right fit, it does a tremendous job emphasizing your physique in the best ways possible.
Unfortunately, most men are terrible at picking a fitting buttoned shirt. In most cases they wear shirts that are way too loose, which in turn negates the item‘s best properties.
What to look for:
- Very little extra fabric around torso.
- Nicely but tightly molds around your chest.
- Very little extra fabric around your hands.
- Sleeves just slightly cover your palms.
- Molds around your shoulders.